Ingredients you will need:
- 1.5 cups of Basmati rice
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- ½ cup green peas
- 3 French beans (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 1.5 tabslespoons of ginger-garlic paste
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1 cup of thinly sliced onion
- ¼ teaspoon of lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp ghee
- Molo Ambaar Pickle
- Start by rinsing 1.5 cups basmati rice in water until the starch is gone. After that, soak the rice for 30 minutes in enough water.
- After 30 minutes, drain all of the water from the rice and set it aside.
- While the rice is soaking, add the green chilies to the ginger-garlic paste. Add a little water if necessary
Let’s get down to some real cooking!
- In a deep, thick-bottomed pot or pan, melt 3 tablespoons ghee or oil.
- Add all the whole spices and cook for a few seconds until fragrant, after the ghee has melted and turned hot. During the cooking process, the spices will sputter. It's important that the ghee doesn't burn or get too hot.
- Add the onions and begin to sautee them on a medium-low flame
- Add the crushed ginger, garlic, and green chilli paste once the onions have turned golden.
- Stir and cook for a few seconds, until the raw ginger and garlic fragrance fades.
- Now toss in all of the chopped vegetables.
- After all the vegetables have been added to add another tangy element to the recipe add 1 tablespoon of Molo Ambaar Pickle.
- Gently add the rice with the remaining ingredients.
- Rice should be gently sautéed for 1 to 2 minutes on a moderate to medium-low temperature, until well coated in oil or ghee.
- Fill the pan with 2.5 to 3 glasses of water. You can add less or more water depending on the quality of rice you used. Vegetable stock can be used in place of water.
- Add some lemon and season it with salt.
The final steps:
- Stir well and cover the pot or pan tightly with its lid. This step is necessary for blending of the flavours.
- Cook the rice, covered, until all of the water has been absorbed. Cook on a low-to-medium heat setting.
- When the rice grains are done cooking, fluff them with a fork and set aside for 5 minutes, covered with a lid.
- When it comes to pulao, the most important element is garnish! Make sure to serve this dish with a generous helping of MOLO’s sweet and spicy Ambaar Pickle for a truly authentic experience!
Pulao is best had with pickle and chilled curd. Set the table and get eating!