- ¼ cup idli rice or regular rice – 100 grams
- ⅕ cup regular rice – 100 grams
- 1/10 cup urad dal – 50 grams
- 2 pinches of fenugreek seeds
- ¾ tablespoons thick poha
- ⅕ teaspoon rock salt
- oil as required
Ingredients For Potato Filling
- 2 potatoes medium-sized potatoes
- ½ tablespoons oil
- ⅕ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ tablespoon chana dal soaked
- ½ cups thinly sliced onions
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 to 3 curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon chopped green chillies
- 1/10 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ⅕ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoons of MOLO Gobhi Gajar Pickle
- Salt as required
Soaking Lentils And Rice
- In a bowl take the idli rice along with the regular white rice.
- Now to this bowl you can add urad dal and fenugreek seeds.
- Rinse the rice, seeds and lentil and put them aside.
- Take a separate bowl, and add the flattened rice.
- Rinse it a couple of times and then add poha to the bowl containing the rinsed rice+lentils+methi seeds.
- To this add 1 ½ cups water. Mix and cover with a lid and soak everything for about 5 to 6 hours.
Making Dosa Batter
- Now from the bowl drain all the water and add the soaked ingredients in a wet grinder jar.
- Add ¾ cup water and grind it till turns into a grainy consistency of rice in the batter. A smooth consistency of batter also works.
- Put the batter in a bowl.
- To this pan now add ½ tsp rock salt. Mix it very well. Cover it and put it aside for 7-9 hours, or as may be required.
Fermentation will double or triple up the volume of the batter and you will see small air pockets in the batter with a sour aroma.
Preparation For Potato Filling
- For the potato filing first rinse and then boil potatoes in 2 cups water for 5 to 6 whistles in a pressure cooker.
- While the potatoes are being cooked, soak the chana dal in hot water for about 30 minutes. Then drain the chana dal and keep aside for now
- Once the potatoes are boiled, peel and chop them up.
Cut the the onions finely and also chop up the green chilies and coriander leaves.
Making Potato Filling
- Heat oil or ghee on a non-stick tawa.
- Lower the flame and add mustard seed and then add the chana dal.
- Heat the chana dal for 3-5 minutes till they turn slightly golden. Now add the onions, curry leaves, green chilies.
- Saute the onions stirring often till they soften and turn translucent.
- Add the turmeric powder and asafoetida (hing). Mix very well.
- Add water. Mix well and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add the mashed potatoes. Mix and stir well.
- Season with salt.
- To this now add add two teaspoons of Molo Gobhi Gajar Pickle.
- Saute and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the potato has cooked, take it off the heat. Add the coriander leaves.
- Keep the potato filling aside.
- Put a pan on the stove. Spread half a teaspoon of oil on the pan.
- Pour the dosa batter on to the pan and spread the outwards from the centre.
- When you see the batter on the top has cooked well and the bottom has become crisp and golden, add some oil to the edges.
- Cook till the base is crispy and slightly golden.
- When you see the edges separating from the pan, place a portion of the potato filling on the dosa.
- Fold and serve sada dosa hot.
- Serve these crisp masala dosa with sambar and an extra serving of Molo Gobi Gajar pickle.